Friday, May 7, 2010

Who was there before all?


Who Created God?

Q. A Mormon friend at work asked me who created God. In Genesis 1:1 it say’s, “In the beginning God created the Heavens and the Earth.” I believe that with my whole mind, heart and soul. Our question is who created God, where did He come from, or how did He come into being?


A. Mormons believe God was created. Some even believe he used to be a man and that might be what prompted the question. But no one created God because God is the Creator of everything. When you translate the Hebrew name for God, it means the One who always was and always will be. In Isaiah 43:10 God said, “Before me no God was formed, nor will there be one after me.” In Isaiah 44:6 God said “I am the first and the last. Apart from me there is no God.” Between Isaiah 43 and Isaiah 50 that thought is repeated 7 times. Our God is called The Eternal One for that reason. He had no beginning and will have no end.


The Timelessness Of God

Q. I praise God for the wisdom that He gifted to you. Thank you for sharing it. I have a question about the timelessness of God. However, in Isaiah 43:10 He states: “…before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.” How can this be if He has no beginning or end? Can “eternal” have a “before” or “end”?

A. It’s figurative language. It’s like He was saying, “I always was and I always will be” which is what His name (I am) implies. To help us understand what that means He said there was no god before Him and there won’t be one after Him. He’s the One and Only. Forever.


When Did God Begin?

Q. On (another website) I saw a statement that troubled me greatly. In the never-ending debate of evolution vs. creationism, (the author) makes very good points. However, regarding the “beginning” of God he says “It is possible that the Lord may have existed for so long even He has lost track of His own beginning.”

Is this really possible? I have always believed that God “always was” but now, although I still believe our God is eternal and un-created I was wondering if you could point out some scripture that confirms the fact that Our God did not simply “lose track” of his existence and that he has in fact, although it is is incomprehensible to the human mind, existed forever.

A. Deut. 22:27 says that God is eternal. In Micah 5:2 we’re told about the origins of the Messiah. The literal Hebrew reads that they were from “the days of eternity”. The same Hebrew word us used in both passages.

Rabbinical scholars state that the way the very first letter of the Bible was formed in ancient manuscripts indicates that it’s impossible to know exactly what went on beforeGenesis 1:1. The Bible neither explains nor justifies God’s presence but from the very beginning man’s understanding has been that He’s an eternal being, without beginning or end. It puzzles me as to why any believer would want to question that.


Was God Formed?

Q. This question deals with Is.43:10. If you do a quick read of Is.43:10 it almost sounds as if God himself was formed. This can’t be, can it? Wouldn’t that negate his being eternal ,past and present? Appreciate your thoughts.

A. The last sentence of Isaiah 43:10 reads, “Before me no god was formed nor will there be one after me”, which sounds to us like he’s saying he was the first one first formed. But He really means there weren’t any gods that preceded Him and there won’t be any that follow Him. It’s another way of saying He’s the first and the last, the One True God.









No comments: