Tuesday, October 6, 2009

How about living by the law of Moses?


A Torah Observant Christian?

Q. While on Facebook recently, I happened upon a childhood friend who describes herself as a “born again, Spirit filled, Torah observant, believer in Yeshua (Jesus).”

Have you ever heard of this? Doesn’t this seem to disregard the new covenant?

I can’t help be intrigued, because I have such love and admiration for the Jewish people, and would dearly love to be “one of them” myself…. but I don’t know how you can have it both ways. It seems that one observing the Torah couldn’t possibly embrace grace and forgiveness through faith. But clearly my old friend believes in Jesus. I’m so confused… can you please help me unravel this?

A. Being a Torah observant Christian could be something of a contradiction. It all comes down to where your friend believes her salvation comes from. If she believes she’s saved by grace through faith and observes the law solely to express her gratitude that’s one thing. But if she believes her salvation is even partly earned or maintained through her observance of the law then there’s a problem with her theology. After all grace plus work equals work.

Any work we do to supplement what the Lord did for us demonstrates our lack of faith in His work and violates the most basic tenet of Christianity. It’s by grace we are saved through faith. Not by works lest any should boast. (Ephes. 2:8-9)








No comments: