Monday, April 6, 2009

Heaven

Heavenly Relationships


Q. The scriptures speak mostly of the physical elements of the new heaven and new earth and little, if any, about how we will relate to each other. Different books have shown our new home as physical and real, more real than this one, if that can be imagined. But here is where I am. I lost a woman that I loved some time ago and even though I know I will see her again, will our relationship be the same or can it be? We were in love, and I want that again and not as best friends or brother/sister, etc. I want to hold her as I used to and I want the romance, the intimacy, the affection, the dancing, the love that we shared. Verses talk of us being like angels and since they don’t marry, we don’t. And various threads from that seem to have us as ‘friends’ or something, but frankly, that’s not enough for me. Someone, in an online forum, said that it would be like Eden before the fall, and since Adam had his ’soulmate’ in Eve, then we would have ours as well. I want mine back and, frankly (and I mean no disrespect) if we are together as ‘friends’ only, then Heaven has lost some of its luster.


A. First of all remember that no one knows what our heavenly relationships will be like. Second, you only have experience with Earthly relationships involving fallen people, so any attempt at comparison with a heavenly one involving perfected people is premature. Third, you’ve been promised unending joy , so it stands to reason that you won’t have any longing to return to the past. The Lord hasn’t spent all this time preparing your heavenly home just to leave you disappointed at being there.


More Questions About Heaven


Q. I visit your web site often. It’s great! One question… You say that people who are in heaven can see what is going on here on earth. God says there will be no tears or sadness in heaven. Seems to me if they can see us it would indeed make them sad with tears to see the millions that are lost….Not to mention the suffering.


A. If we retained our Earthly perspective when we go to be with Him that would be true. But we don’t. 1 Corinthians 13:12 says “Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.” Everything we’ve been unable to understand or explain during our lives will suddenly become clear as God’s perfect plan is revealed.


And once the Kingdom Age begins, to make our joy complete, memories of our Earthly life with all its failings and shortcomings will fade away as God makes everything new. “The former things will not be remembered, nor will they come to mind.” (Isaiah 65:17)


Website: www.gracethrufaith.com





No comments: