Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Confession

Must I Name Every Sin?


Thanks for an awesome site. Question: In the last paragraph of your article “Psalm 83” you state that any unconfessed sin will hamper our fellowship with God.

How do I know what this unconfessed sin is? When in prayer, I confess all my sins that I’m aware of and ask God to forgive me for all these sins and also all other sins that I’m not aware of, am I still out of fellowship with Him because I did not confess those sins that I’m unaware of by name?

A. No. The Lord won’t get you on a technicality. He knows if the intent of your heart is to confess and if it is, you’re covered. What I was talking about is a sin we are aware of but refuse to confess for one reason or another.

I’ve always believed that David’s prayer in Psalm 19 is a good one for confession.

Who can discern his errors? Forgive my hidden faults. Keep your servant also from willful sins; may they not rule over me. Then will I be blameless, innocent of great transgression. May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. (Psalm 19:12-14)



Website: www.gracethrufaith.com



No comments: